Tuesday 31 March 2015

Together, Always

26th February, 2010

I decided to quit Engineering.  I will always remember this day. It was the day I made a big decision. I was not made for 9 to 5 jobs, but something more. I wanted to pursue Journalism.

I was scared to let anyone know about it, most importantly, my father, because he had big expectations. Actually, they weren’t big, I was too small for those expectations, maybe.

Anyways, I decided to share this with my mother. Initially, she told me, ‘Ritwik, stay calm and focus. You will be a good engineer.’ I told her, ‘Ma, I’m sorry to let you down and break your dreams. I am shattered too. But journalism is my calling. I love it. Yes, I realized it late. I don’t know what to do, Ma. I am scared about Daddy. He will be very disappointed.’

Ma said, ‘Yes, he shall be. But if you have decided it, Ritwik, then we don’t want to force you and tell you to do something which you don’t enjoy doing. You talk to him calmly. I am sure he will listen.’

My sister heard this conversation. She came to me and scolded me, ‘Ritwik, are you a kid? You are planning to waste one full year of your life? Leaving behind engineering will do no good to you.’

I answered, ‘But, Di, I don’t want to regret later. This is a bold step. I want you’ll to support me.’

‘Support you for wrong things? No, Ritwik. Please don’t hurt Daddy. Your stupidity will cause us pain.’ She said.

Ma was supportive, ‘Let it be, Aashira. He won’t budge. He is adamant. Still, Ritwik take some time, you can pursue Journalism after Engineering too. We would suggest complete this and then go for the other course.’

‘Ma, I can’t afford to waste years now.’ I want to make it big in Journalism, please Ma. I won’t let you down.’ I tried to convince.

‘Ritwik, you speak for yourself before Daddy. We are not going to interfere. Finally, I do not want my son to blame me years later. But remember, it is a big risk that you are jumping for. Had you completed B.E, you would have a secure degree with you.’ Ma sounded upset and concerned for me.

‘Ma, this decision is a risk, I agree. But I want to pursue it. It is my mistake to have realized my calling late. But better late than never!’ I replied.

When I told Daddy about it, he told me the same things my sister and Ma told. But finally all agreed for my happiness.

There is no love greater than family. They are the ones who understand your needs and dreams. Today I have completed my Mass Media course and I have been chosen by the best Institute in India for a post graduate course in Journalism.

The tense moments I spent with my family made me realize – Family love is the greatest. The time spent with them gave me the courage and positivity to stay motivated and look up with confidence and optimism. Family loves you infinitely. We are together in this journey. Always.

P.S: This post is for Housing.com. Housing believes in the inimitable power of optimism. #together
See here for details: https://housing.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment